Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Go cars/ Open mapping

The field trip that we took in the Go Cars on Thursday, February 12th, was a really good way to see the commercial appeal of locative media. I've used gps devices in cars and I've been on mapped tours, and I'd have to say this combines the best of both. Although there was no visual reference for the directions played over the speakers, they were often simple enough that they could be remembered until the next set of directions were recieved. Only once did we vere off course, and even then we were able to make it back to the designated path. The way the diretions were delievered were also pretty awesome, because they had alternate routes and stuff which allowed you to go do something like go to a senic view, and then return to the path. I wish I had brought several more layers and that my pants hadn't ripped, but other then that it was fantastic. I had fun and was humiliated simultaiounsly.

the open mapping tutorial video was pretty well done, however its a little long and included some things I don't think I'm ever gonna use. I was really interested in the open map software by Cloud Made, specifically the way to custmize the way the map looks. I really hope we get to use some of this stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment